YOU don’t have to visit China to experience China. Food is a key characteristic of cultural identity – and also the tastiest! Follow this easy stir fried beef and spring onion recipe and whip up the flavour of northern China at home.
6T light soy sauce
1t roasted sesame oil
- Part-freeze the meat and cut into paper-thin slices.
- Combine the garlic, soy sauce, rice wine, sugar and cornflour. Place in a plastic bag or container with meat and allow to marinate in fridge for about an hour.
- Combine sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Heat a wok with oil over high heat until very hot; it works best on a gas BBQ. Add the meat in handful batches and cook rapidly – about 60 to 90 seconds – until brown. Remove the meat and drain. Repeat until all the meat is cooked.
- Add oil if and when necessary.
- Stir fry the spring onion for about 60 seconds; it will become softer and have a glazed sheen.
- Return meat to the wok and add the sauce.
- Toss to coat the meat and spring onion with sauce and remove from heat source.
Serve this extremely tasty dish with rice or mandarin pancakes.
Recipe adapted from ‘The Food of China, a journey for food lovers’ published by Murdoch Books.
Want something to drink with that? Click to go to Asia’s top tea-drinking nations!
Experience Vietnam’s king of soups! Click to go to Invite Vietnam into your home.
Breakfast? Click to go to Kick-start your day with a Thai Street Food Breakfast!
I love hearing what you have to say!
If you enjoy what I have to offer, please share this page. Thank you for helping me make this blog a success!